[Dialogue] Hmm, the Methodists weigh in, sounds like the "council of a lifetime"

jlepps at pc.jaring.my jlepps at pc.jaring.my
Sat Jun 16 13:07:42 PDT 2012

Randy, Bill, Marilyn, George, and others:

I don't think you can separate the Institutional
dynamic from the Movemental dynamic so
completely. The Christian movement has
institutional dimensions from the first --
remember the dispute between Peter and Paul about
inclusiveness relative to Gentiles? each dynamic
has authentic roles -- the institution embodies
and preserves wisdom, symbols, rituals, and
creeds which express that which activates the
movement. The Movement adds dynamism, relevance,
creativity and vitality to the understanding that
is expressed. Whenever each becomes dominant, perversions occur.

As the Order, we certainly had institutional
dynamics -- structures, understandings, rituals
-- aimed at preserving our vitality. IMHO,
sometime in the late 80's we thought it would
increase relevance to change some of the classic
elements to further the movemental dynamic. We
changed the daily office into something "more
inclusive," for example. It worked for awhile.
And that's the point: institutions preserve
things longer than "for awhile," even though the
forms of expression aren't immediatly clear.

Anyway, it's clear that the movemental dynamic is
where we are/were focused,and what's badly needed
now. But let's not throw out the baby with the bath.

John