[Oe List ...] The Completed Life of John Telford

Timothy Wegner tim at tswegner.net
Fri Jul 22 19:08:01 PDT 2022

When Susan and I had our first overseas assignment, it was to Melbourne
with John and Elaine. The time frame was something like 1973 or so.  John
and I spent many, many hours together covering the state of Victoria by
car, mainly raising funds for Oombulgurri. Alas, I needed cultural
contexting as did nearly all Americans assigned to Australia, contexting
that John patiently provided. There is an asymmetry of understanding
between Australians and Americans; Australians usually had a good cultural
understanding of Americans because, among with other things, Australian TV
was full of American content. But Americans thought they were back home,
but they were not, and completely missed how different Australian culture
was from their own.

John took the lead on our development calls. He explained why. The American
style would be something like (I'm exaggerating for effect here, but not
much) :

Oombulgurri is a fabulous community that moved back to their original
village. After a comprehensive development plan was created, they rapidly
moved to self sufficiency. Now their whole future is bright! You can
contribute support for this success!

The Australian style would be more like:

It's been rough. When the Oombulgurri people tried to move back to their
land, there were big setbacks. Some men got drunk and burned down some
community buildings. Some people tried to plant crops but they didn't come
up. Many wanted to move back off their land and go back to town. In the
midst of all the difficulties there have been small victories. There have
been days when a few hours of visionary story-telling might make one think
there just might, just maybe, be a small opportunity for progress. Would
you be able to contribute  to this effort?

The folks we were talking to wouldn't have believed an optimistic
American-style story of miracles about to happen. But when John opened his
mouth and spoke with obvious authenticity and realism about a very
difficult situation with glimmers of hope, people responded. John was
humble and self-depreciating, but projected an integrity of quiet strength,
and a strong underlying conviction and vision that belied his modest style.

Susan and I deeply appreciated the time we spent with John and Elaine.

Tim Wegner