[Oe List ...] Marianna Bailey and Bill Bailey memory

Evelyn Kurihara Philbrook joyful52 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 18:05:12 PDT 2020

Dearest Marianna,

Evelyn Kurihara Philbrook here in Taipei with ICA Taiwan, Larry and Evelyn Philbrook with Dick and Gail West. Dick remembers attending your book reading group these past years every week, sharing ideas and jokes galore with you all!

I am sorry to say I never had an assignment to work with you two, except for OKLAHOMA 100. A group of us drove up from Texas to support the effort to make every county gold for the bi-centenial of the USA. This was the state that would be holding all TOWN MEETING 76 events all on one weekend, all in one day. I was impressed with both you and Bill at the time. He was tall, humorous and on that day, a bit quiet. You were sincerely welcoming, and interested in who arrived from Dallas,  elegant with a glance that looked straight in our eyes and asked if we had held or been to any Town Meetings yet. Just attending, or a workshop leader, I believe I said I had been to the Sacramento Town Meeting in California earlier in the year. I think and remember being in the Song, Story, Symbol group. I had seen you both at a summer program, in Chicago. It was a whirlwind of a day. Bill Grow and I were partners and we drove off to a small town in a county on the border heading north that was known as a junkyard. We walked around the community after meeting the mayor and he recommended we talk with some key people and agreed to meet that day with us. It was a great town meeting and I learned alot about the good ole boy network. If so- and-so said we should meet, I’ll be there! Governor’s letter, OKLAHOMA 100 you say… can we keep that book you keep showing us? Bill Grow was all smiles and very positive and informative to get a yes from each one we spoke with. After the wonderful meeting we drove back to the house, left our notes, ate some food, and then drove back to Dallas. What a special day to be part of for the whole nation and so many people coming in to help! What a great moment!  Someone said, a few fell out of bed and will be held later. But over all Oklahoma would never be the same again, and neither would we!

May God give you peace, blessings to you on your life journey and this time of transition.

Evelyn

This song, though only sung while working, comes to mind as a celebration to life…

Glory, Glory, Hallelujah! Since I Laid my Burdens Down
(Negro Spiritual)

1. Glory, Glory, Hallelujah
Since I laid my burdens down!
Glory, Glory, Hallelujah
Since I laid my burdens down!

2. I feel better, so much better,
Since I laid my burdens down!
I feel better, so much better,
Since I laid my burdens down!
Refrain

3. Friends don’t treat me like they used to
Since I laid my burdens down!
Friends don’t treat me like they used to
Since I laid my burdens down!
Refrain

closing:
Glory, Glory, Glory hallelujah, (start low)
Glory, Glory, Glory hallelujah (next octive)
Glory, Glory, Glory hallelujah (highest octive)
Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah…. (shouting-distinct and short)
Since I laid,  my burden’s down… (slow and deliberate)

After House Church in San Francisco at a Methodist church of Bob Stewart in the basement,
we would wash dishes and clean to this song, among many spirtuals… Patricia Newkirk, Emily Wood, and many others just sang, and sang.
I think George and Carol Walters where priors.

(there are other verses, but we did not sing them…only these)