[Oe List ...] I heard it on the grapevine, Steve Ediger asked a compelling question yesterday

Sherwood Shankland via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Thu Dec 10 19:19:08 PST 2015

And the spirit question...not a formal method that I know of, except as pedagogues we were trained to listen for a deeply rooted "spirit issue" that a group or an individual was struggling with and seek to address that issue and thereby hopefully the Mystery of Life might address that person deeply. A very fine line between trying to use our own observations and judgments as opposed to self-reflection and discovery on the participant's part.

There is also an additional method called the "Spirit Conversation" which essentially follows an ORID flow, but draws upon each persons personal experience rather than a common group experience (like watching a film together). So topics like "Tears" or "Water" or "Death and dying" might be the basis of a conversation...The image for the leader was like steering a conoe with gentle turns with the potential for a deep vortex or thundering waterfall to enter the path of the conversation as the group sees the depth of their own experience with the topic. Check Brian's book on Focused Conversation...maybe some clues there...or the ICA archives on "Spirit Conversations"
Cheers, Sherwood