[Oe List ...] GMCA Sept. 18

Lin Zahrt via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Wed Sep 24 12:11:55 PDT 2014

*THU SEP 18* *West Park Auto, *LaGrange to Angola, *IN*

The route directions were simple. After Circle-up I got on Hwy 20 and rode
to Angola. Once again the shoulders were 8 foot wide. Its because its Amish
countryside. There wasn’t much horse manure. I went to the Angola Library.
I had the impression that the niece of my friends, the Imlers, worked
there. I found out I was wrong and phoned the Imlers. Bill answered and
told me they had just returned from Indonesia on a 30-hour trip, so he was
trying to get his body-clock back on the Eastern time zone. He volunteered
that I could have a Home-stay with them and told me he would get back in
touch with me when they had worked out the details.

While I was talking with Bill about the March one of the receptionists
overheard me. She told me she was phoning the local paper and have a
reporter come to the library and interview me. So I waited for the
reporter. She interviewed me and made an appointment to visit the campsite
later on in the afternoon. I found the campsite and waited for the Imlers
to contact me. When they phoned they indicated Marilyn VanValkenburg, Dona
Lou’s sister and the wife of Van, who was the campus minister at the Iowa
U. Wesley Foundation the summer of 1960, shuttled them to the Park. We went
to visit Van, now in a nursing home. I don't think he remembers Lin and me.
Then we went out to dinner. Marilyn asked about our history since I
graduated from Drew Theological Seminary. I gave the history--local parish
and EI/ICA, family farm. Everyone else finished their dinner while I was
talking! Once I finished dinner they took me on a tour that gave me a
chance to see their family farm and farmhouse. It was amazing to see how
much heritage they’ve retained. Marilyn drove us back to the Imler’s
residence and dropped us off. I think she lives in the house next to the
Imlers. I spent some time getting my NYC baggage together and then went to
bed.

We got up at 5:45am, had breakfast at 6:15, and drove back to camp at
6:40am. When we got to camp a little before 7am, the Imlers had a chance to
see what the Climate March is like operationally. They stayed for the
Circle-up and then said “Goodbye”. I thanked them and got on my bicycle to
travel into Ohio. It was delightful to re-establish contact, be hosted by
them, and have a chance to view and appreciate Dona Lou’s family heritage.