[Oe List ...] Fwd: GMCA Update Sept. 4

David Zahrt via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Sat Sep 13 19:10:12 PDT 2014

*THU SEP  04*  *Organic Farm, Elburn, to Blackwell Forest Campground,
Wheaton, IL*

Ed was cooking pancakes for breakfast again. This time they weren’t gritty.
At Circle-up John Abbe began the birthday song so the March would celebrate
my birthday: *“Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to me. Every day we
are born, and every day we are free.*” It’s a different version than the
classical birthday song and the tune is different. I now have two birthday
songs to use. As we finished Circle-up it began to rain. I got on my bike
and rode all morning in rain—I got my birthday shower!  I phoned Doug, the
Gear truck driver. He’d gotten permission to enter the campsite, left the
solar trailer, and went to find a place that had WiFi to use his computer.
Izzy arrived later and we scouted out the campsites 1-6. There didn’t seem
to be a good place to set up the Taj Mahal tent. He decided he'd sleep in
the amphitheater that was ½ mile away. I put up my tent and threw all my
sleeping gear inside. It was the first time I’d used it in 2 or 3 months.

The River Prairie Sierra Club treated us to dinner at the amphitheater.
Dinner was a social occasion so it was dusk when we left the amphitheater.
The mosquitoes were thick. I went into my tent, zipped the door shut, and
spent some time setting up my bedroll. Some of the Marchers lit a campfire
in one of the campsites. There was a slight breeze so the smoke drifted. I
guessed that if I sat in the draft of smoke the mosquitoes would not be
bad, but I wasn’t ready to sit in the smoke. I went to bed in my tent.
 --
Peace, David