[Oe List ...] Salmon: Event Rational

William Salmon via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Thu Jul 10 14:43:17 PDT 2014

    An activity of Pastor William Salmon

  Making Death My Friend

                                On New Year's Eve 2013, I got a tattoo on my left butt!

                                Since I've donated my body to Kansas University, the image is that of the
                                Kansas State "Power Kat." Two words surround this image: "Last Laugh!"
                                This will make it possible when they take my body to KU and roll me over, I
                                 can have the "last laugh!"
    	This April begins my 80th year, and I'm planning my Memorial Service for July at a local hall in Salina, KS. We'll have a cash bar, jazz band, poetry reading and, "nice things to say about me. After I'm dead, they can say anything they want to about me."
       	On Sunday afternoon, we'll have another party for the tea-totalers along the same line but the choir will sing, etc. Perhaps, I can convince Pastor Barry to dedicate the Sunday Service to interpreting the Funeral Service.
	The thinking in back of this was first planted in my mind while in the Order. We read a book by Carlos Castaneda ("The Teachings of Don Juan") where he wrote that, "Death never lies to us. When we ask Death, 'Am I dead yet?' and Death says, 'No!' then we are not dead." On the other hand, when we ask, "Am I dead yet?' and Death says, 'Yes,' you can absolutely believe we are dead." (Loosely quoted)
	With this mind, I made the decision to make death my friend. Which, by-the-way, is good theology as Jesus taught us on the cross to die early to living independently from God** in order to live the surrendered life. Consequently, it makes sense of the resurrection; I'm already a dead man walking. Actual death is just another stage that My Friend will see me through, whenever that will be.
	The second source of this thinking is a book by Mitch Albom, "Tuesday's With Morrie." Interestingly, this was the longest running Number 1 book on the NY Book list. Morrie is the professor of Albom who makes the commitment to visit his professor every Tuesday since Morrie is slowly dieing, and he decides to hold his own Memorial Service so that he can enjoy it. Today, this is an idea that many are making.
	Since I am being cremated by KU and after they are through with me-laughing all the way, of course--I'll be sent back to Salina for whatever appropriate rites are helpful to Beverly, family and friends.
	Please do not morn for me, as you were there when,
"I danced in the morning. . . .
	 I danced on the Sabbath. . . .
		I dance with the Devil on the back. . . .
			They cut me down and I lept up high. . . .
	Dance then. . . . Dance then. . . .*
	(In gratitude to "Zorba, The Greek"!)
*UMC Hymnal # 261

PS: The two tattoo artists laughed all the way though the 2-hour procedure. The other artist suggested that the KU med student skin out my tattoo, tan it and hang it on the wall. So much for tattoo parlor humor.
	Bill

**Salmonology defines God experientially as At-One-Ment or/and as The Guarantor.