[Oe List ...] [Dialogue] Transition Announcement

Gail West via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Tue Aug 5 04:14:36 PDT 2014

Thanks Terry and Jim for the exciting context and expectation of what's
next.....  I'm reminded of the last 2 Trends articles sent out to our
colleagues in Taiwan.

Gail

*Reinventing Organizations* - by Frederic Laloux

*A guide to creating organizations inspired by the next stage of human
consciousness*

(Selected insightful reviews)

What is a *“*Teal Organization”?  *In Reinventing Organizations
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ICS9VI4/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00ICS9VI4&linkCode=as2&tag=harojarc-20&linkId=XEQOERPYUBI3TAXG>*,
Laloux uses a color scheme, based on Integral Theory
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral_theory>, to describe the historical
development of human organizations: Red > Orange > Green > Teal.  He lists
three breakthroughs of Teal organizations:

·       Self-management: Driven by peer relationships.  Any person, in any
team, can make literally any decision for the company (but with advice from
others in the company who would be affected).

·       Wholeness: Involving the whole person at work.  The point (of Team
Organizations) is not to make everyone equal; it is to allow all employees
to grow into the strongest, healthiest version of themselves.

·       Evolutionary purpose: Let the organization adapt and grow (rather
than be driven)​.  Anyone can lead.  No one can dictate.  You get to choose
your cause.  You don't have to put up with bullies and tyrants.  Excellence
usually wins.  Great contributions get recognized and celebrated.

… on the leading-edge ... his work is concerned with the extremely profound
changes in consciousness, culture, and social systems that we are seeing
emerge … at this point in human evolution.

 Frederic Laloux.. focuses specifically on the values, practices, and
structures of organizations — large and small—that seem to be driven by
this extraordinary transformation in consciousness occurring around the
world. (Forward by Ken Wilber)

... None of the recent advances in human history would have been possible
without organizations as vehicles for human collaboration.  The current way
we run organizations has been stretched to its limits, leaving us
disillusioned by organizational life. For people at the bottom of the
pyramids work is more often than not, dread and drudgery, not passion or
purpose. That Dilbert cartoons have become cultural icons says much about
how organizations make work miserable and pointless. Life at the top of the
pyramids isn’t much more fulfilling. Powerful corporate leaders experience
quiet suffering too. Their frantic activity is often a cover up for a deep
inner sense of emptiness. Power games, politics, and infighting take their
toll on everybody. At both the top and bottom, organizations (have become)
playfields for unfulfilling pursuits of our egos.

Survey after survey shows that a majority of employees feel disengaged from
their companies. The epidemic of organizational disillusionment goes way
beyond Corporate America; teachers, doctors, and nurses are leaving their
professions in record numbers because the way we run schools and hospitals
kills their vocation. Government agencies and nonprofits have a noble
purpose, but working for these entities often feels soulless and lifeless
just the same. All these organizations suffer from power games played at
the top and powerlessness at lower levels, from infighting and bureaucracy,
from endless meetings and a never-ending succession of change and
cost-cutting programs.

We long for soulful workplaces, for authenticity, community, passion, and
purpose. Enlightened Management is not enough. In most cases, the system
beats the individual. (As) managers and leaders go through an inner
transformation, they often leave their organizations because they no longer
will put up with a place that is inhospitable to the deeper longings of
their souls.

We need more enlightened leaders, but we need also enlightened
organizational structures and practices.

“Laloux confirms the absolutely critical role of leaders of TEAL
organizations, despite these organization’s self-managing nature. Even if
the management team, or the CEO are no longer the sole source of
decision-making, their role is critical to create and maintain a “space
of development” and to role-model the new culture and practices! In the
words of Otto Scharmer (Theory U): "The quality of results produced by any
system depends on the quality of awareness from which people in the system
operate". Laloux confirms this statement to be valid also for organizations
operating at Teal Consciousness.

In this groundbreaking book, the author shows that every time humanity has
shifted to a new stage of consciousness, it has invented a whole new way of
structuring and running organizations, each time bringing
extraordinary, breakthroughs
in collaboration. A new shift in consciousness is currently underway. Could
it help us invent a radically more soulful and purposeful way to run our
businesses and nonprofits, schools and hospitals?

The pioneering organizations researched for this book have already "cracked
the code." Their founders have fundamentally questioned every aspect of
management and have come up with entirely new organizational methods.
Though they operate in very different industries and geographies and did
not know of each other's experiments, the structures and practices they
have developed are remarkably similar. It's hard not to get excited about
this finding; a new organizational model seems to be emerging, and it
promises a soulful revolution in the workplace.

In terms of its structure, the defining characteristics of a Teal
organization includes self-organized teams, no executive team meetings,
radically simplified project management, most staff functions performed by
team members themselves, interviews of job candidates focused on "fit" with
values and purpose, significant training in relational skills and company
culture, personal freedom with authority as well as responsibility, no job
titles, individual purpose being compatible with organizational purpose,
candid discussion of work/life issues and commitments, focus on team
performance, self-set compensation with peer calibration of base pay, no
promotions but fluid rearrangement of duties and responsibilities, and
dismissal only as the very last step in mediated conflict resolution.

Reinventing Organizations" describes in practical detail how organizations
large and small can operate in this new paradigm. Leaders, founders,
coaches, and consultants will find this work a joyful handbook, full of
insights, examples, and inspiring stories.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Why Self-Management Will Soon Replace Management*

Huffingtonpost.com, 7/16/2014

When I was doing the research for my book, Igniting the Invisible Tribe
<http://invisibletribebook.com/>, I stumbled across an article by Gary
Hamel called "First, Let's Fire All The Managers." Released by Harvard
Business Review in December of 2011 about a California-based tomato
processing company called Morning Star, I found the idea of an organization
"self-managing" itself to be fascinating, compelling -- and frankly,
confusing as hell.  How in the world could an organization work without
leaders!? It seemed absurd.  But it clearly ... wasn't. Morning Star was
apparently a very successful organization where hundreds (in peak-tomato
season, thousands) of people work. They're the world's largest tomato
processor; or in other words, you've almost certainly eaten their product.
They claim revenues over $700 million per year. And they've been working
this way for over two decades.

What's going on here? Perhaps more importantly, if traditional "management"
is as grossly inefficient as Hamel suggests in the above-mentioned article,
why hasn't self-management caught on?

Here are three reasons why "self-management" principles haven't yet taken
hold as a viable organizational structure ... and why they will, (very)
soon.

*1) We don't think of self-management as an actual "structure."*

When we think of organizational design, most of us think of top-down
hierarchy. In fact, we've been so completely saturated with this idea that
when it comes to organizing an organization, many of us can't begin to
picture anything besides something that looks like some version of a
typical pyramid structure.

What we don't realize is that, for the most part, the entire universe is
self-organizing. The natural world all around us reflects self-management!
As Chris Rufer, the founder of Morning Star, stated in Hamel's article:
"Clouds form and then go away because atmospheric conditions, temperatures,
and humidity cause molecules of water to either condense or vaporize." The
natural world around us constantly adapts and responds to what it needs in
order to function. Why couldn't our organizations do this, too?

While a self-managed organization does contain a definite structure,
comparing it to a traditional organization is like comparing a tomb for
ancient pharaohs with a cloud in the sky. Both entities were created by a
certain set of rules, but the instruction manuals are quite different.

In self-management, the "structures" are generally sets of principles that
elicit (or prohibit) certain kinds of behaviors. At Morning Star, for
example, the entire organization is built on two principles: 1) No one has
power or coercion over anyone else, and 2) People must keep their
commitments to each other. There are other rules, of course, but with very
little imagination one can see how a foundational adoption of even just
these two principles would drastically reshape the mindset of a traditional
organization.

As our companies respond to the increasing speed of the marketplace, we're
finding the bureaucracy that comes with a top-down hierarchy somehow more
burdensome than it used to be. Our daily work continues to expand in
complexity, and in response we are asked to think more creatively in order
to boost innovation, but our organizations actually seem to stifle the very
behaviors we're being asked to perform! We need to find a way to get the
organization out of the way of the work, and self-management principles
amplify this ability dramatically.

*2) We think this idea is new and hasn't been proven to work.*

Thousands of years of evolutionary biology has taught us to be wary of
change. We're wired to flag differences in our environment as potentially
harmful and life threatening, and by default we put things like "new
organizational structures" in this category. While this gut response was
quite helpful to prevent us from being eaten by a saber-toothed tiger, it's
not so helpful when it's actually our current environment that's killing us.

Study upon study is showing how the way we're working isn't working very
well <http://workrevolution.org/>, and that we need an organizational
renaissance at a deep and systemic level. We may think that the principles
of self-management are newfangled and untested, simply because the majority
of organizations we've experienced haven't used them.

In his new book, Reinventing Organizations (along with a fantastic article
<http://www.self-managementinstitute.org/misperceptions-of-self-management>
for the Self-Management Institute), author Frederic Laloux clearly shows
how wrong this misconception is. Providing organizational examples like W.
L. Gore, Whole Foods, Wikipedia, Patagonia, the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra,
and Alcoholics Anonymous, it's clear that self-organizing organizations
have been practicing these approaches for decades -- and they continue to
be tremendously successful to this day.

Furthermore, YOU may be the best example of why this idea is actually much
more proven than we think. After all, how do you know who to date or who to
marry? Who tells you when to have a baby or start a family? How in the
world do you function in your life without a manager?

It turns out, *you've been proving self-management ideas to be quite
successful for as long as you've been alive*.

*3) We're terrified of the idea of an organization without
managers/leaders.*

This is a completely justified fear, by the way. I have been a student of
leadership for many years, and decades of research have proven time and
again how crucial the role of a good manager/leader is. So how do
self-managed organizations function without them?

Recently, I interviewed Doug Kirkpatrick from the Morning Star
Self-Management Institute live on stage
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp7N-gJ7Ab0>. In my opening, I referenced
Gary Hamel's article and, to Doug, said something like, "So now in Morning
Star there are no managers whatsoever; tell us how you got to this place."  He
immediately corrected me: "There are managers; *every single individual in
the enterprise is a manager*."  So, how do organizations function without
leaders? The short answer: they don't.  The difference is that in
self-managed organizations, *people are never "made" leaders by someone
else. Instead, they've simply decided to lead*. Things like credibility and
influence and the ability to make a good argument -- in general, doing the
things that are actually worth following -- are what leaders are made of in
these companies.

For our organizations to thrive in the emerging economy, a mechanism that
allows the best idea to win is vital. *The political games and the
posturing that happens within our current organizations aren't creating any
real value -- they're not improving the customer's life in any way*. Our
organizations must find ways to encourage more true leadership behaviors,
and a self-managed approach is one of the most powerful ways to promote
them.

This post is part of a series produced by The Huffington Post and Great
Work Cultures. The latter is creating a new norm of work cultures that
optimize worker effectiveness and human happiness.

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 6:58 PM, James Wiegel via Dialogue <
dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net> wrote:

> What a sweet word to arrive in the early morning.   And a great story,
> Terry.  We had a chance to visit with David Zahrt as the climate march came
> through Arizona.  He talked about always wanting to do something about what
> was going on in the world and being frustrated how to move.  He said, when
> he got to Chicago, to the Institutes, he found a structure to work in.
>  Several of us have been studying a book, REINVENTING ORGANIZATIONS, that
> paints a picture, based on examples from different places in the world, of
> how an organization / institution might be STRUCTURED (even legally) to
> carry out similar values and insights to those you mentioned.  The lines
> below emphasize your concern for the institution . .
>
> For thousands and thousands of years, people have lived on the brink of
> famine and in fear of plagues, always at the mercy of a drought or a simple
> flu. Then suddenly, almost out of nowhere, modernity has  brought us
> unprecedented wealth and life expectancy in the last two centuries. And all
> this extraordinary progress has come not from individuals acting alone, but
> from people collaborating in organizations.
>

>  Wiegel
>
> I feel sorry for people who don't have dogs.  I hear they have to pick up
> their own food if they drop it on the floor.   (Found on Facebook)
>
> James F. Wiegel
>
> 401 North Beverly Way, Tolleson, Arizona 85353
> Tel. 011-623-936-8671 or 011-623-363-3277
> jfwiegel at yahoo.com <marilyn.oyler at gmail.com>
> www.partnersinparticipation.com
>
> Upcoming public course opportunities:
> ToP® Facilitation Methods:    Sep 9-10, Nov 18-19, 2014 Click to watch
> video <http://partnersinparticipation.com/?page_id=48>.
> ToP® Strategic Planning:  Oct 7-8, 2014 Click to learn more
> <http://partnersinparticipation.com/?page_id=50>.
> Facilitation Mastery: The Mastering the Technology of Participation
> program begins in Oakland on Nov 12-14, 2014 Click to watch video
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz3mniiYCdI>.
> For online registration go to http://www.top-training.net
> The AZ ToP® Community of Practice meets the 1st Friday, 1-4 pm, starting
> again on Sept 5th at ACYR, 648 N. 5th Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85003
> <https://www.google.com/maps/place/648+N+5th+Ave/@33.456329,-112.080545,16z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x872b123a5312512d:0x93c9f71171108956?hl=>
> AICP Planners: 14.5 CM for all ToP® courses
>
> On Aug 5, 2014, at 2:33, Terry Bergdall via Dialogue <
> dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net> wrote:
>
> At my initiative last May, I informed the ICA-USA Board of Directors that
> I thought it was time for them to begin the process of identifying my
> replacement as ICA’s executive officer. Since this listserv represents the
> community to which I feel accountable, it is appropriate that I share with
> you my thoughts about this decision. It also is my effort to answer
> questions that I suspect many people will have when they hear the news.

> [...]

*Gail West, ICA*

*3F, No. 12, Lane 5, Tien Mou W RdTaipei, Taiwan 111Ph) 8862) 2871-3150*
email) icataiw at gmail.com
Skype) gwestica
www.icatw.com