[Oe List ...] A review of Charles Taylor's "The Secular Society"

Timothy Wegner tim at tswegner.net
Wed Jul 10 08:37:03 PDT 2013

Dowd came to speak at our church (Covenant Church in Houston). He is an
amazingly high energy speaker, very interesting. He strides back and forth
over about 30 feet on the stage with every possible gesture. But the high
energy wears thin very quickly. Kind of like sticking the audience's heads
in a fire hydrant stream. Too bad, because few people can do what he does.
If he could alternate his high energy mode with a slow, quietly dramatic
mode he would be a blockbuster speaker. Strange that someone who is on the
road speaking continuously hasn't gotten (or maybe hasn't listened to) a
little coaching on public speaking. Wouldn't take much to improve, assuming
he is capable of standing still and lowering his voice for a few seconds.
:-)

I remember his style more than his message. We bought his book "Thank God
for Evolution" which I will read and give him a chance.

Tim