[Oe List ...] A review of Charles Taylor's "The Secular Society"

George Holcombe grholcombe at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 07:40:33 PDT 2013

Great statement, John, did Ann tell that to you?

Anyway looking forward to the book.

Good conversation.  Wesley's Quadrilateral keeps coming up (scripture, reason, tradition and experience), which Outler, our old prof., actually pulled that term together out of Wesley's works.  I sure hope more of our conversation leaks out to the wider world, I'm experiencing a crazy world, which seems to be dominated by bad science, horrible religion and an economic system crushing the political and the cultural.  Don't know if this can be finally called the economic, since the decision making, business models, and the extractive processes and consumerism appear to be really bad economics.  Is this "the Secular Society" or a transition to it?  Does humanity have to go nuts to move to another level.

George Holcombe
14900 Yellowleaf Tr.
Austin TX 78728
Mobile 512/252-2756
grholcombe at gmail.com

"Whatever the problem, community is the answer.  There is no power greater than a community discovering what it cares about."  Margaret Wheatley