[Oe List ...] A review of Charles Taylor's "The Secular Society"

R Williams rcwmbw at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 10 03:09:46 PDT 2013

Friends,

I'm fresh off having finished Dowd's book.  Like most writers on this subject these days, from my perspective he gets a lot of it right, a lot of it wrong, ignores a lot of what I consider pertinent, and overall raises some very good questions to ponder.  I have no interest in, nor basis for, defending Dowd, but here are some of his points that particularly resonated with me.

For one, David, I believe he does exactly what you suggest in your last statement, he reconciles the conflict between religious faith and scientific knowledge.  It is no particular leap for me to say, for example, that the story of creation is stated in one genre in the Bible (which Dowd would call "night language") and another way scientifically (which he would call "day language"), the latter expressed with the word "evolution," but that both are talking about the same reality.  I personally prefer words like "emergence" or "unfolding" in place of evolution but believe they are pointing to same thing.  And a key part of his message is that what all this points to is still going on and forever will be.  I harken to the words in Revelation, "Behold, I make all things new," present tense with future implied.

Another, I have no difficulty with Dowd's calling God "Ultimate Reality" and find that not too far from Tillich's "ground of being."  Both insist that God is not one reality or one being among others, but the basis, foundation, context, etc. for all.  And the faith question in relation to that ultimate groundedness is not, "What do you believe?" but rather "What do you trust to the point that are you willing to stake your life on it?"

Jack, to your point about rationalizing away mystery, my reading of Dowd (perhaps because this is what I want him to say) is that once you have explained scientifically how something in the religious arena works or happens, that need not take the mystery out of it.  My example--child birth.  I have a layman's knowledge of how this happens scientifically, but it is no less mysterious and awe-filling each time it occurs.  I could say the same about death.  Hence in his talk about "public" and "private" revelation and about rational, factual language and about mythical, metaphorical language, the use of one does not cancel out the need for the other.  While I am not as ready as he appears to be to discount the role and impact of scripture and tradition as being obsolete, my Wesleyan heritage puts me right with him in affirming that revelation is sourced not only through scripture and tradition but also through reason and
 experience. One of the ideas he pushes at hard is that God's evolutional, revelatory, creative activity did not stop and the end of the sixth day in Genesis or the day the last writer of the New Testament, or some other wisdom literature, put down his pen.

Other points that caught my attention: that emergence happens through us in partnership with God; service to the Whole a big part of what we would call profound humanness; the dominant metaphor is changing from a mechanical to a nested, networked world, etc. etc. etc.

Thanks, Herman, for prompting this conversation (again) and to all who are participating in it.

Randy