[Oe List ...] A review of Charles Taylor's "The Secular Society"

jlepps at pc.jaring.my jlepps at pc.jaring.my
Tue Jul 9 18:19:41 PDT 2013

How could I stay out of this conversation???

There are at least three essays in my forthcoming book that address
this issue. 2 are reviews of naive "theological" statements by Steven
Hawking, and one is an essay on Faith. The latter is particularly
pertinent here, since much of the controversy is about
mis-understanding of language. Briefly, Faith seeks understanding,
Faith seeks action, and Faith seeks expression. It's the expressions
of faith that are sometimes confused with understandings of faith,
and this leads to grossly flawed (and "unscientific") beliefs. It's
as if one were to take Humpty Dumpty as a historical account rather
than a mythological statement of profound truth!

Anyway the book is called "The Theology of Surprise: Exploring Life's
Mysteries." It should be out around the first of August through
Resurgence Publishing. Should be available through Amazon soon.

John