[Oe List ...] A good reflection on Romney

Herman Greene hfgreene at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 18 14:54:38 PDT 2012

Okay, Susan,

What I am suggesting is that there is a turning point happening away from
the Reagan years and perhaps away from the politics you favor. Just keep
September 17 in mind and see if that is true.

There are values on both sides. Essentially the messages of the two
conventions were “we are all in this together” and the other “be
self-reliant and keep government small.” The latter point is valid, but it
hides the fact that neither side has done that, entitlements grew enormously
under Republican Presidents, more so under Bush than Obama. Even when Obama
proposes savings, which you would expect Republicans to favor, they are
distorted as destroying, in this example, Medicare.

No, I don’t mean what you mean by defining moment. I mean that what has come
out on this video exposes a deep problem and one that people will turn away
from.  “We’re all in this together and be self-reliant and keep government
small” are not really oppositional. But keep government small has to be
taken in a certain way, because neither side is proposing a small
government.

I guess what I am saying is that I think that September 17 ended a certain
period in American political history. Both sides will have to adjust to it.

Herman

  _____