[Oe List ...] Thanksgiving Reflection

the telfords thetelfords at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 21:10:22 PST 2012

Thanks Rod for your reflections on the non-interaction between the western
culture and that of the Indigenous peoples when the first westerners
arrived in America - it is so parrallel to the history in Australia. We
live in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney and a friend of ours is working
for the Crossings Committee which is designing an appropriate range of
activities to commemorate the Crossing of the Mountains in 1813 by
Blaxland, Lawson & Wentworth - many people describe it as the First
Crossing of the Blue Mountains, ignoring the fact that Aboriginal tribes
regularly crossed the Mountains and held ceremonies on what is called Kings
Tableland on top of the ridge. Our friend is striving to get some balance
in the activities i.e. ensuring that the Aboriginal perspective is included.

I could go on but don't want to bore you all.

Take care
John

"You can achieve anything if you don't mind who gets the credit"