[Oe List ...] Fwd: more Moore!

R Williams rcwmbw at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 31 05:51:36 PST 2012

Jann,

This may be just a word game with little practical worth.  But it is reflective and at least mildly expansive of the imagination.  John Cock and I have been having a running conversation on "power vs. energy."  I keep saying, among other differences, that power is bestowed from outside (title, position, money) and energy is invoked from within (inspired, inspiritus, of the spirit.)  Had not thought of drawing a distinction between power and force.

On the antithesis of compassion, I've been thinking more on what John Epps said about everyone cares.  I know that's true, but maybe it is also true that we priortize our care and from time to time we may care more about self than we care about the other, in which case the opposite could be egocentricity.  Using Merton's insight about compassion as the awareness of interdependence, maybe to not be aware of interdependence is what we meant when we talked about the contradiction of individualistic overemphasis.  So maybe the opposite of compassion is individualism.  I'm even thinking that caring for that which does not ultimate deserve care is a form of idolatry, so maybe the opposite of compassion is idolatry.

As you may sense, all these are more questions than statements of any kind of certainty.

Randy

"Whatever the problem, community is the answer.  There is no power greater than a community discovering what it cares about."  Margaret Wheatley