[Oe List ...] Start the conversation

George Holcombe geowanda at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 15 05:30:46 PST 2012

I think all the comments on this stream are good.  Keeping the campaign going (it has about a 90 day lifespan) has always been the main contradiction, also practical ways to have "gun control" which is read by the opposition as gun elimination (or government control) brings a brick wall.  Getting rid of hiding behind the Constitution would be a windfall, but messing with the Constitution is a big mess.

The second part of my thought is that while a social justice issue, its main component is economic (which evokes emotion, patriotism, etc.).  The U.S. is the largest manufacturer and distributor of weapons in the world.  Gun Control threatens not just a "way of life," a governing possibility, but an industry, much like fossil fuel and climate change.  There are gun shops, shooting ranges, gun clubs, gun shows, para-military groups that go out on the weekend for maneuvers and shooting guns let alone hunters, plus Wal Mart and investors, speculators, internet businesses, to name a few.  That's a part of what's being taken on.

Since guns now have serial numbers and are sort of traceable to manufacturers and sellers, except when you file off the number, why not have gun owners bear the expense of the data base, through an annual fee and a check to see if it's properly  at the same address, etc., that's what they ask me every year when I get my auto license, just don't call it registration of fire arms, something to do with maintenance of the data base.  Push for laws that make states equally responsible for the data base.  (You can bet we all are somehow paying for that data base and its use by police departments).  It could be another source of revenue for the States.

Push for liability insurance for all firearms. If the insurance industry can get its teeth into this, they could produce quite a battle with the arms industry, though I imagine it would be a mixed affair, but more money for the vendors and the industry could provide some incentives.  Imagine the amount you'd pay to register your AK47.

Kathleen Jones published an article on steps you have to go through to own a gun in Japan on her FaceBook page, certainly worth a read.  Having to go though a check for mental illness as in Japan would be a real step forward.  Just think of the business mental health professionals could have, and of course government regulators to make sure it was done correctly.  You would be extending Capitalism and free enterprise (just imagine the ad revenue on TV).  What about eye exams and hearing tests, to make sure you see what you're shooting at, and the sounds in the next room are really a burglar and not your spouse making an early cup of coffee.

Some of this may sound humorous, but if there is enough in the mix some of it is bound to take off, either as a compromise or just because some politician thinks he/she can ride it to the next election, and maybe some entrepreneur will see a way to become the next billionaire.  And then it's all about the American way.

To do some of this we'll need to support those movements and organizations that are pushing for reform.

George Holcombe
14900 Yellowleaf Tr.
Austin, TX 78728
Mobile 512/252-2756
geowanda at earthlink.net

Hope appeareth, but it is not your Hope—you do not have anything to do with it. It just appeareth. It comes as a stranger, as an alien—it just appeareth! You do not even know why you hope. How in the world could you hope when there is absolutely nothing to justify any hope?    ~Joseph W. Mathews