[Oe List ...] Book List

Herman Greene hfgreene at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 14 09:52:55 PDT 2012

Great list

  _____

From: oe-bounces at lists.wedgeblade.net
[mailto:oe-bounces at lists.wedgeblade.net] On Behalf Of jlepps at pc.jaring.my
Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:04 AM
To: oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Subject: [Oe List ...] Book List

Here's  partial list of books that have influenced me:

I. Business
.       In search of Excellence - Peters and Waterman: a documentation of
how excellent companies operate humanly
.       Built to Last - Collins and Porras: documentation of how visionary
companies operate beyond a quest for profits with a purpose of benefitting
society
.       Borderless Business - Mann & Goetz: Essays on working effectively in
the global society includes the social process triangle & corporate process
triangle

II. Society
.       The End of American Exceptionalism - Bechovich (sp?): The challenge
to become one in the world of nations rather than THE one.
.       Riding the Waves of Culture - Trompenaars & Hampden/Turner:
Identifying the characteristics of different cultures, both national and
company.
.       The Nature of Prejudice - Gordon Allport: Somewhat old, but a
classic on the dynamics of social and racial prejudice
.       The Secular City - Harvey Cox: the urban revolution has happened and
is worth celebrating

III. Theology
.       Radical Monotheism and Western Culture - H. Richard Niebuhr: Spells
out the paradox of monotheism: All is unworthy and all is good!
.       The History of Christian Thought - Paul Tillich: A fantastic and
readable story of how and why theology developed the way it has (transcribed
lectures)
.       The Noise of Solemn Assemblies - Peter Berger: The Church's
sociological reality belies its theological intents
.       Christ Without Myth - Schubert Ogden: Getting beyond the stories to
the reality that the Christ story communicates
.       Bending History, I & II -- J.W. Mathews: Joe's classic theological
and sociological talks.

IV. Fiction
.       The George Smiley Trilogy (Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy; The
Honorable Schoolboy; Smiley's People) - John LeCarre: The hero was
personally inept but professionally outstanding in serving a cause higher
than the immediate circumstances. We're sort of undercover agents for the
Other World, and I've found George to be an inspiring role model.
.       The Harry Potter Series (1-7) - J.K. Rowlings: She sets up 2
parallel universes, one "normal" and the other wondrous (but they are
actually the same universe); the business of wizards is to protect us
"muggles" from perceiving the wonders that are present. Our mission, on the
other hand, is to help our clients and colleagues to perceive and appreciate
this wondrous universe.

John Epps