[Dialogue] Joe Mathews Dissertation on John Wesley

W. J. synergi at yahoo.com
Tue May 14 08:16:28 PDT 2019

 Yes, the copy Marge handed to me at the time of Betty's celebration was in that same gray box! Marge was VERY proud of this artifact and very watchful to make sure it didn't disappear (into some colleague's briefcase!). It was likely the only copy in the Archives, and to me it looked exactly like an original typescript. That means that our dear Betty had not sent it through a copier and left the copier version in the files.It also suggests that for some reason, Joe's dissertation is probably not in the JWM research collection in the basement of the library of Wesley Theological Seminary.So I would suggest that the Archives honchos might contact the Wesley librarian to insure that this document is available in the collection.Maybe some PhD student someday will write a dissertation on Mathews' dissertation and what happened to it at various times and places!After writing this I read Nancy's and Beret's comments. So maybe some version of the Wesley dissertation is in the basement at Wesley.There's been a huge faculty/staff turnover @ Wesley with retirements, etc. So there are very likely HUGE memory gaps, not to mention funding gaps, that I predict would result in ZERO archival work happening in their basement archives.At least there would be some kind of historical record of the acquisition. But it would be interesting to call up the research librarian and see what he or she says.Or maybe M. George Walters is up on this question.Marshall