[Dialogue] Joe Mathews Dissertation on John Wesley

Paula Philbrook paula.philbrook at gmail.com
Tue May 14 12:04:22 PDT 2019

In my youth (1965) on the West Side, I was assigned to clean the offices on
the first floor of Admin Building.  I got in trouble because I read the
dissertation instead of vacuuming.   We were assigned minutes and had to
sit in a chair doing nothing while an adult watched up.

Paula

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 12:45 PM W. J. via Dialogue <
dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net> wrote:

> Yes, the copy Marge handed to me at the time of Betty's celebration was in
> that same gray box! Marge was VERY proud of this artifact and very watchful
> to make sure it didn't disappear (into some colleague's briefcase!).
> It was likely the only copy in the Archives, and to me it looked exactly
> like an original typescript.
> That means that our dear Betty had not sent it through a copier and left
> the copier version in the files.
> It also suggests that for some reason, Joe's dissertation is probably not
> in the JWM research collection in the basement of the library of Wesley
> Theological Seminary.
> So I would suggest that the Archives honchos might contact the Wesley
> librarian to insure that this document is available in the collection.
> Maybe some PhD student someday will write a dissertation on Mathews'
> dissertation and what happened to it at various times and places!
> After writing this I read Nancy's and Beret's comments. So maybe some
> version of the Wesley dissertation is in the basement at Wesley.
> There's been a huge faculty/staff turnover @ Wesley with retirements, etc.
> So there are very likely HUGE memory gaps, not to mention funding gaps,
> that I predict would result in ZERO archival work happening in their
> basement archives.
> At least there would be some kind of historical record of the acquisition.
> But it would be interesting to call up the research librarian and see what
> he or she says.
> Or maybe M. George Walters is up on this question.
> Marshall
>
> On Tuesday, May 14, 2019, 5:07:04 AM EDT, Karen Snyder via Dialogue <
> dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net> wrote:
>

> There is a memory gap in Archive Collection history between when Marshall
> saw the copy of JWM’s dissertation at Betty Pesek’s Memorial and when it
> was scanned by Mark in April and links created by Wendell. There are likely
> others who have bits and pieces of the history. And there are 150 file
> cabinets in the basement Archives room that may have more information.
>
> Although I ‘found’ the transcript in a gray box tucked away on top of the
> file cabinets after many cabinets had been moved and many files filed this
> past year, I don’t have a history to go with the finding. I am simply
> pleased that it will soon be accessible to those interested on the Archives
> Website.
>
> Peace, Karen
>

> On May 13, 2019, at 8:51 PM, W. J. via Dialogue <
> dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net> wrote:
>
> I actually saw and touched (!) the typescript copy Marge had in the
> Archives at the time of Betty Pesek's memorial service, so I can vouch for
> the fact that there were zero burn marks on it. And no hint of smoke.
> As far as I could tell, that copy was not fake either. Maybe we could dust
> it for Joe's fingerprints. Or, far more likely, Lyn's.
> And there was no indication that what we have now was just a preliminary
> [...]

Paula

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in
harmony.
    Mahatma Gandhi