[Dialogue] Salmon: Public School Project

William Salmon via Dialogue dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net
Mon Jul 6 13:45:13 PDT 2015

Steve, et al. --
    Three years ago, I developed a curriculum for Special Education/Behavior Disorder High School students. It is an elaborate plan involving a closed classroom, featuring training of classroom teachers, an isolated camping experience for all involved, a model for a weekly staffing, and an outreach program for parents. This plan assumed that I would administer the program with the goal of teaching the staff the Institute's academic methods and philosophy.
    The topic involved current "brain research" highlighting appropriate responses to student classroom behavior.
    I'll dig this out and send it on to you.
    The anticipations:
1--The educational cooperative that hires para-educators assigned their grant writer to develop finances for the project.
2--When reality finally broke in, I remembered I was 79 years old and in no position to administer the project, and it was dropped. The interesting thing is that my creditability was never questioned, and I was hired back for the next two years and I anticipate another year's work.
3--A follow-up paper was written this last year entitled, "Wounded Birds," that provide extra-academic* methods for identifying classroom behavior.
4--A paper is under development as a follow-up to this work entitled, "Is There a Better Way?" Interestingly, the idea was passed along by my academic mentor as teaching teachers to prepare to make students thirsty for what they teach. The subject illustrates extra-academic* teaching methods.
    Inner Peace,
    Bill Salmon
* Extra-academic is meant to convey methods not ordinarily identified with the profession of teaching.