[Dialogue] GMCA May 17-18

David Zahrt 4deezee at gmail.com
Tue May 20 08:33:08 PDT 2014

*Dear Colleagues,*

*May 17-18, Weekend in Santa Fe*

I took the Geartruck with all the other vehicles to the Sat/Sun campsite.
Then the vehicle drivers were shuttled back to join the Procession. We
arrived at Santa Fe Railyard Park at 10:45. There were a series of speakers
including the Mayor of Santa Fe. It is astounding to find the network of
people in Santa Fe that are working on a sustainable future
environment—non-profit organizations, political lobbies, churches,
neighborhood organizations, and more.

The Packards, George and Elise, attended. George had shuttled me around
town on Fri to see if I could get a replacement charger for my computer.
After the Rally we went out for lunch. Elise went to play in a marimba
concert and George helped me get my luggage and took me to their home. I
had a chance to take a bath and get my laundry done. Packards invited
Marilee Blanchard and her partner, Bill, and John Singleton over for
dinner. We had a heartwarming get-together!

On Sun morn we watched a TV program sponsored by Santa Fe during breakfast,
and then went to the Presbyterian Church. We attended the Adult Study group
and morning worship. Michael Dowd was the speaker at both events. Michael
has joined the March periodically. He’s written a book entitled *Thank God
for Evolution.* He and his wife have no residence. They travel around the
country making presentations.

After church George and Elise took me on a tour of Santa Fe. The first
place was the Santa Fe Museum. Once again I was astounded to learn the
history of Santa Fe, and all the different people that established
residence and fought over the right to inhabit Santa Fe. I learned that
Santa Fe is the first Capital City in the US. We also went to the Catholic
Cathedraland, a building that had been a Native American residence.

We had lunch downtown and the Packards took me back to the March campsite.
I would have been pleased to spend one more night with them, but I felt I
needed to be back in camp for the evening so I would be prepared to pack up
and leave in the morning. The Packards made my stay in Santa Fe a marvelous
respite.

--
Peace, David