[Dialogue] Ye olde mail snafu surfaces again

Timothy Wegner tim at tswegner.net
Tue May 20 06:27:51 PDT 2014

I am sure email arcania is about as fun as a trip to the dentist for most
of you ... Alas, a bunch of our accounts have (again) been disabled again
because of excessive bouncing. Mostly (but not entirely) hotmail and
comcast. No you did nothing wrong. This is another example of the human
condition. Something about those arrows pushing up from below and down from
above.

The reason is that some internet providers are toughening their rules to
avoid spam, and our mailing list gets caught in the crossfire. One tactic I
am trying is to change back to replies going to the lists rather than the
sender, so please be aware of that. (Replies going to the sender is
probably better, but oh well). So if you reply to a list message, you will
need to be mindful and change the address if you don't want it to go to
everyone. I am trying this to keep your email provider's robots happy.

Once again, if you get a message that your account has been disabled, let
me know (tim at tswegner.net). Generally you do NOT need to do what the email
requests to get reinstated, I will do it for you and everyone.  If just a
few of you do this it helps alert me that there is a problem. My own gmail
account appears to be less fussy.

It is not a bad thing that the email providers are working harder to
prevent spam. Eventually we will get this straightened out.

Tim

PS - for (only!) the scientifically inquisitive, here's one provider's
explanation. If any of you (very few) geeky types want to discuss this
further and help debug the problem, drop me a note.

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN7253.html