[Dialogue] Fwd: GMCA May 12-13

David Zahrt 4deezee at gmail.com
Tue May 13 21:02:34 PDT 2014

*Dear Climate March Friends,*

*May 12, Monday   *In New Mexico:

We had an early breakfast—wake up 5:30 AM, breakfast at 6:00.  We packed up
and got off of the school grounds by 7:15.  I chose to ride my bike the 10
miles to our next campsite. I got to camp at the Balloon Museum, in N.
Albuquerque at about 10:30.

Some of the Marchers arrived shortly after. The route was north through
Albuquerque, so there were many rest stops/cafes on the way to the
campsite.

In the afternoon we brainstormed a list of climate issues about which we
are concerned and are committed to take action. Jeffrey took the info and
wrote an article to answer a request from a local newspaper.

 Monday evening was cloudy, windy, and some rain sprinkles. There was
nothing planned for the group.

We got info about activities in Santa Fe:  May 17, Sat. at 11 AM, a Rally
at Rail Yard Park;  live music from 6-7 PM, at Ft. Marty Park;  8 PM
Projection of Images; and then, 8:30 PM Campfire.

*May 13, Tuesday*

I have been sleeping on the ground and not bothering to put up my tent each
night.  It was overcast and showered during the night.  I moved to the cab
of the Geartruck for a short time. In the morning the temp was in the mid
30’s.

I drove the Geartruck to the next campsite which is just N of Bernalillo.
Then I went with Dave Finnegan <climatechangeiselementary.org> and 3 other
Marchers to Santa Fe to do a presentation at Desert Academy.  We attended
their Assembly at 2 PM. They turned the Assembly over to us at 2:30. Dave
described the March, had the four of us introduce ourselves and tell why we
were on the March.

It had already been snowing for 15 min. Dave looked out the window and
began with the question “How many believe the climate is changing?”  Most
of the kids raised their hands. Then he gave a 20-minute presentation to
introduce Climate Change, and asked for questions from the students. The
school administration turned off the mike at 3:00—it could have gone longer!

Dave drove us back from Santa Fe to the campground—about 40 mi.

Peace, David