[Dialogue] THANKS GIVING

Ellie Stock elliestock at aol.com
Wed Nov 21 12:24:52 PST 2012

Thanks, David!
Ellie

-----Original Message-----
From: David Zahrt <4deezee at gmail.com>
To: dialogue <dialogue at lists.wedgeblade.net>
Sent: Wed, Nov 21, 2012 11:22 am
Subject: [Dialogue] THANKS GIVING

UNCONVENTIONAL NON-SECTARIAN TABLE GRACE

When we had guests at the B&B, back in Iowa, I used to introduce an unconventional non-sectarian table grace without asking.

After giving it there were several times that Fundamentalists said, “Alright, now let’s say a prayer!” I finally realized that I needed to ask permission to give an unconventional non-sectarian table grace. I have now adopted the practice of doing so. It goes as follows.

David Steindl-Rast wrote a book entitled GRATEFULNESS; THE HEART OF PRAYER. In the book he says that he watches people go through life looking for a way to be happy so they can be grateful for their lives. But, he says, “It isn’t happiness that makes you grateful. Its gratefulness that makes you happy.”

When I read that I looked into my own life to find out where gratefulness comes out spontaneously. (Holding my hand over my heart with an outward gesture to include the meal table, I continue) I realized that the mealtime is one of those places: because I’m on the receiving end of things, (gesture to include the food) and I’m with family or friends. So I invite you to share the things for which you’re grateful. We’re grateful to have you as guests. What kinds of things have you found yourself grateful for in the past 12 to 24 hours? (Sharing takes place) Alright. Let’s eat and be grateful. Amen.

I've finally made a transition to BLESSINGS & CELEBRATIONS This comes from YES Magazine

Special Table Grace
[very appropriate at every meal—especially appropriate at Thanksgiving].

Once all are present, call on each member to
o   Say what we are grateful for
o   Who or what we want to send special energy to
o   Where we wish for peace

Gratitude; Blessings; Peace. Amen.

David