[Dialogue] THANKS GIVING

David Zahrt 4deezee at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 09:19:28 PST 2012

*UNCONVENTIONAL NON-SECTARIAN TABLE GRACE*

When we had guests at the B&B, back in Iowa, I used to introduce an
unconventional non-sectarian table grace without asking.

After giving it there were several times that Fundamentalists said,
“Alright, now let’s say a prayer!” I finally realized that I needed to ask
permission to give an unconventional non-sectarian table grace. I have now
adopted the practice of doing so. It goes as follows.

David Steindl-Rast wrote a book entitled GRATEFULNESS; THE HEART OF PRAYER.
In the book he says that he watches people go through life looking for a
way to be happy so they can be grateful for their lives. But, he says, “It
isn’t happiness that makes you grateful. Its gratefulness that makes you
happy.”

When I read that I looked into my own life to find out where gratefulness
comes out spontaneously. (Holding my hand over my heart with an outward
gesture to include the meal table, I continue) I realized that the mealtime
is one of those places: because I’m on the receiving end of things,
(gesture to include the food) and I’m with family or friends. So I invite
you to share the things for which you’re grateful. We’re grateful to have
you as guests. What kinds of things have you found yourself grateful for in
the past 12 to 24 hours? (Sharing takes place) Alright. Let’s eat and be
grateful. Amen.

*I've finally made a transition to BLESSINGS & CELEBRATIONS This comes from
YES Magazine*

*Special Table Grace*

*[very appropriate at every meal—especially appropriate at Thanksgiving*].

Once all are present, call on each member to

o   Say what we are grateful for

o   Who or what we want to send special energy to

o   Where we wish for peace

Gratitude; Blessings; Peace. Amen.

David