[Dialogue] Guernica & Conversation Roots & Shoots

Gordon Harper gharper1 at mindspring.com
Thu May 3 16:46:44 PDT 2012

Bully conversation --

This is one place I find our listservs serve us well.  I watch for the
next header to pop up with another thoughtful contribution to the thread.

I can't get into this one without it triggering old memories and
stories.  Those of us who have used and taught our methods over the
years have probably not only seen most of their possible bungled
applications--we've probably made most of them ourselves.  There are so
many aspects to leading or facilitating any of these that we pretty
quickly learn none of them can be reduced to just a set of steps or
procedures which, once learned, assure future success.  Trust the
method, to be sure; then mix in all those learnings about yourself,
those you work with and life itself that really make that method work.

I still have vivid memories of the first time I was assigned to lead the
conversation method in a live RS-1.   It was with a large group in Room
A, West Side, latter 60s, and I'd been given the Freedom Conversation
("Who'd be willing to take George to the airport?").  Amazingly to me,
it wasn't going nearly as well as I recalled it had in my own RS-1.  As
I was struggling to stay afloat, Slicker edged in to help redirect
things so that the group could genuinely wrestle with the issues being
raised.  I felt like a flaming failure--then came to treasure it as one
of my great learning moments.

A story that bears on what we've been talking about is of Joe's take on
the conversation method.  It was in a pedagogy guild; he was leading it,
and we were on the movie conversation.  I recall one of the staff asking
him something like, "Joe, how do we make sure in this conversation that
people /get it/ about Miss Miller?"

Joe's response was abrupt and unequivocal: "That's not your job!  You're
not out here to _teach_ anyone anything.  Teaching happens in the
seminars, not in the conversations.  Your job, what this conversation
method does, is to see that people seriously confront the life questions
that this movie raises. /That /they authentically confront them is your
concern;/what/ they decide about them is not."

He paused, then added: "Now, if six months or six years later, someone
who was in this conversation should be sitting on the crapper--and all
of sudden--jump up and shout, 'MISS MILLER WAS A SHITASS!'--well, that
would be great.  But that's not your job, not the job of the
conversation, to make that happen."

Joe had his ways to make his points stick with you.

When I teach the Focused Conversation method or ORID these days, I tell
people that it can be--often is--used in teaching; and that it can
be--indeed, often is--used to help a group reach some level of agreement
or consensus; but that its real job is to help the group to have the
serious conversation it needs to have.

Gordon