[Dialogue] [Oe List ...] WHAT IS THE RIGHT QUESTION THESE DAYS?

R Williams rcwmbw at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 9 05:27:31 PDT 2012

Sunny,

You are precisely on target with your reference to Paul Hawken's book (and as must be evident from my earlier comments, I'm not opposed to "God talk" as long as it is transparent.)  Hawken's "largest movement in the world" embodied in millions of "mini-movements," plus the Arab Spring, the Occupy Movement, and who knows how many more, all point to the hope that abounds in the midst of despair.  In his very last paragraph Hawken gives a slightly different take on the approach:

"Our house is literally burning, and it is only logical that environmentalists expect the social justice movement to get on the environmental bus.  But it is the other way around; the only way we are going to put out the fire is to get on the social justice bus and heal our wounds, because in the end, there is only one bus."

I know this is counter to what several on this listserv have been saying, but it is a point worth considering.  A bit of consolation here is, no one has to start a new movement.  It's already underway.  So one question is, how would we who care serve and participate in the change that's already happening?  The 32 national ICAs around the globe are working on this, as are many others of us outside those particular institutional structures.  To ask the question of whether it's enough or on time is paralyzing.  We just have to do what we know to do without much focus on the outcome, which we've always known we can't control anyway.

Randy

"Listen to what is emerging from yourself to the course of being in the world; not to be supported by it, but to bring it to reality as it desires."
-Martin Buber (adapted)