[Oe List ...] April 5th

Lynda C lynda860 at outlook.com
Fri Apr 5 18:01:06 PDT 2024

Thank you, Jim and Judy W., for your summer road trips gathering this oral history.  What a delight to see our colleagues and to hear their stories.    Are all these “Story Core” videos available in the Archives?  I saw a moving block about ICA, but it didn’t stay up long enough to read, and couldn’t figure out how to get back to it.

When we moved to Galax, we were surprised to learn that the local Episcopal minister was part of the evacuation team.  (Rev. Standrod Carmichael and wife Marietta were teachers on the South Side, who had attended some of the OE events. He was called to bring one of their school buses and help get the women and children.).  Maybe you were on his bus, Jo.  Ken, thank you for holding up this date so that all this emerged and we could honor this day.  (Ken was the airport greeter for the young Cock family arriving in March of 1969.  We remember vividly being there on the anniversary of those riots and the anxiety that there might be activity and questioning, “what have we brought our 18 month old son into?”    Wow!  52 years ago.  What a journey.

Gratefully,   Lynda and John