[Oe List ...] [Dialogue] Four Gates of Grief

Ellie Stock elliestock at aol.com
Mon Oct 30 05:00:13 PDT 2023

 Hi Karen,A preliminary response . . . also attached.Ellie :)elliestock at aol.com
ITHOUGHT I HAD SHED ALL MY TEARS

Ithought I had shed all my tears,

alifetime of tears,

dropsrivuletting canyons in once smoothe skin,

cascadinginto deltas and emptying into a sea of sorrow,

nowparched and dried like

myonce choking and burning throat.

Ithought I had shed all my tears,

alifetime of tears,

sobsof shock and pain muffled in pillows,

deepshaking heaves trying to catch breath,

threateningto suffocate.

Ithought I had shed all my tears,

alifetime of tears,

ofhurt and hurting, of remorse for the done and undone,

thebetrayal of and by those close,

thefinal separation from loved ones, land,

andwhat is most cherished,

ofsleepless nights and

prayerslike drops of blood for the sick and dying,

ofbirths that never were.

offading health and dreams.

Ithought I had shed all my tears,

a lifetimeof tears,

screamsand cries of anger, fear, and anguish over

thecorruption, consumption, and killing fields of

Earthand all that is in it,

billionsof years extinguishing

inthe embers and ashes of truth and justice,

communitiesand trust shattered,

innocentsuffering,

sacrednessviolated, sorrow unbounded,

lamentingechoing lamenting, looping and looping and looping,

griefunbearable, unconsolable, overwhelming, numbing,

dried,vacant eyes staring stoically into the void,

filledwith harpies advertising, urging, encouraging

toeat, drink, and be merry.  But

howcan I sing while mourning in

thisstrange, foreign land?

Ithought I had shed all my tears,

alifetime of tears, no more left to be wiped away.

Iwoke up in the middle of the night,

anxiouslyawaiting dawn, but

theheavens were weeping, lightning

andstreet lamps the only light,

cloud-bursting,four winds swirling,

thundering,torrents and storms of tears,

piercingthe soil and bouncing off asphalt,

quenchingthe drought-thirsty  trees losing

autumnmuted colored leaves,

tryingto cleanse, to refresh, to renew, to regenerate

theparched planet and also

piercingmy soul, drilling into

unbeknown,untapped fossilized tears that melted, trickled,

moistenedeyelids, then gushed,

flowing,cleansing and renewing.

Norainbow but deep gratitude and stillness and

a newCovenant with a new day and

Allthat is in it.

ThenI calmly reached for a box of Kleenex.

ejhs

10/30/2023