[Oe List ...] Bill Grow

Zoe Barley zbarley at earthlink.net
Mon May 15 07:30:22 PDT 2023

With Bill's death I experience the end of a generation, soon we all will be gone. Nine families* arrived  in Chicago the summer of 1966 to join the original families of the Faith and Life Community, college students, and others who had come in 1965. We were the result of the RS-1 and PLC courses taught across the nation in 1965. The Barleys came with 2 children ages 2 and 4, a car, a dog and a king sized sofa bed. Bill and Nan came with 4 children ages less than 8 months to 7. After a summer teaching in the preschool I was assigned to publications with Bill in the print shop. We had the full gamut from typesetting articles, layout of several publications, printing, collating, creating and adhering mailing labels for a mailing list in the thousands, and sorting and bagging the mailing to take it to the post office.  As Jim indicates Bill was a phenomenal colleague through it all, never complaining, always there for all night shifts of which there were many. It was a coming of age - of enlightenment - for all of us and for our young children.  I too remember the Grow family with fondness.

Zoe

* Barley, Baringer, Grow, Hess, Hockley, Shinn, Wainwright, Zarht, and Zollars.

Zoe Barley
116 Jackson Street
Denver Colorado 80206
720-318-1171 (mobile)