[Oe List ...] Joseph Mathews Talks

Karen Snyder karen.snyder10 at gmail.com
Mon May 8 15:18:17 PDT 2023

Greetings to ICA and OE Dialogue Readers,

Anyone who ever heard the Institute’s founder, Joseph Mathews, give a talk were impacted by both his content and delivery. Many of us had the privilege of hearing some of the most profound statements ever made about humanness, much in the context of Christianity. We are fortunate that our colleague John Epps and others made some of those talks available to us in the two volumes of Bending History: Selected Talks of Joseph Mathews available on Amazon.com <https://www.amazon.com/Bending-History-Selected-Joseph-Mathews/dp/0976389207/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3MD033VA471U9&keywords=bending+history&qid=1683564096&sprefix=bending+history%2Caps%2C228&sr=8-1>.

As a representative of the team that has been working on the ICA Global Archives for several years, we are pleased to report that now about 180 of Joe’s talks have been scanned and are available on the Archives website, displayed in the chronological order in which he delivered them at: https://icaglobalarchives.org/jwm-talks/.

These talks date from 1946 until his last talk about a month before he died on October 16, 1977. They include public talks to various organizations, addresses at major Institute events, and internal talks with just the staff. They range from his remarks before the US Senate on Fifth City, a commentary on the movie, Man of La Mancha, and his uncompleted doctoral dissertation on John Wesley.

These talks are free for you to view and download. If you are inclined and appreciate what ICA has made available, please consider making a gift in Joe’s honor to continue to expand the ICA’s work by clicking HERE. <https://www.ica-usa.org/donate.html> Thank you.

As I read the list of JWM's writings, I could see him demonstrating the New Social Vehicle and the New Religious Mode. He would talk about community and next he would engage in discussions about the spirit life, going back and forth between the two over the years. It appears these two dynamics were like a yin/yang, a singular unity for him.  I’d be interested in what reflections you have as you look at the list and begin reading some of his talks.

Peace and love,

Karen Snyder
On behalf of the ICA Global Archives Team
Ed Feldmanis, Alan Gammel, Beret Griffith, Laura Grover, Peter Grover, Debra Harris-Watson, Paul Noah, Wendell Refior, Vincent Scott, Jim Wiegel