[Oe List ...] The first of several poems related to dying

David Dunn dmdunn1 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 19:34:24 PST 2023

I pray that the poetry we share might help us find our way into the light of ending, completion and discovery.

David
(with special gratitude to Nelson, Elaine, Lynda and John)

FLY AWAY, FLY AWAY, FLY AWAY HOME

With neither will to linger nor heart for flight,
your eyes betray the time of tears.
Not even the Maker of the universe can save you,
when you cling so steadfastly to life.

Can you see within the darkness
the wonder beyond heaven,
or are you still too body-bound
to look beneath the surface for the light?

My heart breaks every time you stumble
on your lonely, rock-strewn path.
Why do wings come so late
when all is ruined and smashed to dust?

Pray do not fall into despair, dear friend;
the dark brown earth can not hold you.
Go deep inside yourself to find the path
that leads beyond the mind’s horizon.

When you have finished life upon the earth
trust the venture of departing.
Silence calls you to begin the ending
that is the labor of your final birth.

Eternity will only happen when death turns into light.
So run, deny the tyranny of life;
rise above the fury of the flesh.
The One who made the worlds revolve receives you.

Return to the promise before you were conceived.
Take heart in the blessing of our sorrow.
Go in peace, the time of tears is ended.
Watch over all the weary souls who follow.

Fly away, fly away, fly away home.

< 11-08-19
for Terry Wright

—

"Mystery, possibility, and the power to choose"

David Dunn
740 S Alton Way 9B
Denver, CO 80247
720-314-5991