[Oe List ...] [Dialogue] refugees

Timothy Wegner tim at tswegner.net
Wed Mar 16 12:31:20 PDT 2022

[First a response about the list gmail problems.

Wes, there's no debate that this is (was) a gmail problem - gmail
suddenly became more fussy, and messages from the list to gmail
addresses started to bounce. I reported this to Dreamhost, who was
extremely responsive and made changes to my lists.wedgeblade.net
subdomain that might fix the problem. It's only been 24 hours, too
early to say.

Even though of necessity I raised this gmail problem on both lists, I
suggest unless there is something new, we return to discussion that is
more on topic, and not continue the "gmail problem" discussion here. I
would like to see more traffic (hopefully on topic, not about gmail),
because more list posts will help me to see more quickly whether or
not the problem is resolved. If you want to discuss gmail more, feel
free to email me privately. I do feel a bit bad for all the emails the
list sent out to people saying their accounts had been suspended. In
these trying times we don't need another aggravation! ]

(back on topic ...)

I have found that the Ukraine news has been causing me to reminisce
about my own travels. Just before Susan and I joined the order we
travelled by local transportation through Afghanistan, then in a brief
lull between wars. Now that I think of it, we continued through Iran!
The year was 1971.

We went out to dinner with some neighbors a few nights ago to a
Houston restaurant called the Afghan Village. The food was amazing,
and I would say 90% of the other diners were Afghans.

Susan is working on a program through our church to help out refugee
families. Among other things we are collecting donations to outfit an
apartment. We don't know yet what the nationality of the family will
be. There are thousands of Afghan refugees headed to Houston, and
other nationalities as well.

Tim