[Oe List ...] Celebrating ???? on the 4th of July

Milan Hamilton mellowmilan2 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 12:01:31 PDT 2022

My writing group this week's assignment was to write something about 4th of
July celebrations. In view of this year's "events" surrounding it as well
as in the midst of it, I read the following to the group:

*One Common Denominator*

(the number below the line in a common fraction)

I once knew a guy with numerous afflictions

They were the numerators in his various addictions

He spent many years in one pursuit or another

Liquor and drugs and women he found

Were distractions—he could go no further

Toward the happiness for which he was searching.

One day he stopped and assessed his predicament

He listed the failed relationships in his life, there were many!

It came to him after counting them all—

There was one common factor he had to take in:

The Common Denominator he found—was Him!

I once knew a world that was friendly, I thought

It would always be so; I was young then and

Trusted adults and the lessons they taught.

I believed them and was never afraid for my life

As I grew up attending my lessons in school.

I sang the Anthem and saluted the flag of our nation

And watched fireworks on the 4th, what great celebrations.

I wonder as I think of the most recent mass shooting

 If the math calculation holds true in this case

And what the Common Denominator could be

I’m awaiting to see if a solution be found

Before the end of our race.

Milan Hamilton

July 7, 2022