[Oe List ...] House Experiences

Ronnie Seagren ronnie.seagren at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 08:58:52 PDT 2022

Those mattresses were often sprinkled with DDT, at least before I got to
India.
But in Chikhale we lived in luxury, on the second floor above a cowbarn,
with a gorgeous 450-year-old mango tree out the window. I was five months
pregnant with Jake and I dutifully got the hammock ready for the newborn.
We slept on similar mats on the clean cowdung floor. One morning Brian woke
up from a nightmare of being strangled. Then he discovered that his
sandal-thickened cuticles had been neatly trimmed and you could see the
careful bite marks (no skin broken). Turns out a mongoose had feasted and
then run over his neck. It did make me rethink a baby near the floor. But I
never saw a scorpion in six years there.
We really were a wild caring bunch.

Ronnie