[Oe List ...] [Dialogue] Stoicism

Nancy Trask nlt462 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 05:48:07 PST 2022

Dharma and all, it’s a very timely push for deeper understanding — so glad
you raised this angle on the topic.  Thanks also to Milan  for sharing
resources from Jim Bendell, Michael Dowd, and Joanna Macy.  I will have a
look.  The YouTube series of 78 interviews sounds fascinating.  And I had
recently happened on a presentation about adaptation, which has stuck with
me.
Could consider starting a new study series on some of these resources.
Nancy Trask

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 12:49 AM Milan Hamilton via OE <
oe at lists.wedgeblade.net> wrote:

> I majored in philosophy also and especially Studied Kierkegaard with one
> of the preeminent American teachers of SK, But can’t say I got much beyond
> the surface until RS-1. I do think there was more depth to Stoicism as a
> philosophy than hearing the word elicits in our psyche. But as to offering
> a way into the question Dharma is raising, I would suggest reading Jem
> Bendell’s Deep Adaptation paper and if interested getting into the
> conversation on the Deep Adaptation Forum; secondly, Michael Dowd’s “Post
> Doom” series of 78 fifty minute interviews on You Tube with all sorts of
> climate scientists and writers, as well as some of his own videos; third,
> check out Joanna Macy’s “The Work that Reconnects.” These are some
> resources we have found helpful to avoid getting stuck in one or more of
> the philosophy rabbit holes,Stoicism being only one of them.
> Humbly, Milan H.
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Jan 20, 2022, at 10:20 PM, Dharmalingam Vinasithamby via OE <
> oe at lists.wedgeblade.net> wrote:
>

> Thanks everyone for your responses. Some of these touched on what is
> happening to our planet, which is also what triggered my question.
> It is clear that we have pushed our biosphere over the tipping point into
> a trajectory that will bring mass extinctions, perhaps even that of our
> species, in its wake. Whatever we do cannot change this, at least till
> after several decades. So whatever good we do, we won’t be around to see
> its result.
> So the question for me is what does it mean to say Yes to life in this
> situation and to live out of that stance. To use a metaphor, if we are led
> to the gallows, can we approach it saying Yes to what our life has been and
> what is going happen? By “can we”, I mean how do we generate the courage
> and spirit for this.
> A related question, how do we tell others what is in store truthfully and
> yet not leave them without hope or drive?
> If we live like this, could it be described (in a positive way) as
> Stoicism? I remember we seemed to have reservations about this during our
> RS1 courses. But I’m not sure whether they were about the popular
> understanding of Stoicism, as Karen illustrates in her email, or something
> deeper in that philosophy.
>
> Dharma
>

> On Friday, 21 January 2022, 11:17:28 am MYT, James Wiegel via OE <
> oe at lists.wedgeblade.net> wrote:
>

> Does anyone recall (have notes on) the lecture introductions from RS-1?
> They were quick and insightful, and I don't find anything in our archives
> on them . . .
>
> One intro, maybe on Saturday afternoon -- would have been an intro to the
> freedom lecture / section / holy spirit / life style was a series of little
> triangles . . .
>
> Everyone lives out of some sense of their final reality What am I
> upagainst in life?  what is my situation?
> [...]
“If you love it enough, anything will talk with you”
~George Washington Carver