[Oe List ...] For all the Saints

sherwoodshankland at comcast.net sherwoodshankland at comcast.net
Sat Oct 17 14:19:08 PDT 2020

Ann – your are remembered even by people like me who you may not have worked with or remember…

I am eternally grateful for your courage on the frontline and for the team that did bring all our kids home.

I had a similar experience with 52 sixth graders in a big yellow school bus rumbling from Chicago to Billings, Montana for a 3 week trip. We too had a resourceful, highly committed staff (though way too undertrained for the contingencies of such an assignment). We made it though without losing a soul, while blowing out one bus engine climbing hills in Montana, a huge shop-lifting spree in a National Park gift shop; teen-age girls entering puberty in BEAR COUNTRY… etc.

In our staff contexting session prior to departure Charles (Al) Lingo accurately predicted that the curriculum that we had written in advance would likely give way to the real curriculum which would rise up from the soil. Yep, he had it right…and our staff meetings along the way were first cousins to your prayer form your whole being… felt like a daily drill in crisis management.

Never the less, we did have a profound encounter with Indian Country, Jess Sixkiller our native American guide, and the beauty of the West. The support of the sixth-graders was life saving for the six adult staff. Heading home from Montana, we were behind schedule to make it back to the Kemper Building (now Green Rise) in time for the closing of the Summer Program (Summer ’72 I think). So each staff member would take turns at the wheel of the school bus so we could keep going without any long stops. The emerging generation kids picked a song to sing each time the drivers began a shift driving. I was sound asleep in the back row of seats and “When Iron Men, Go marching in, When Iron Men go marching in…” rang out is full voice from the kids. I was launched out of my slumber and charged down the aisle of the bus to take the wheel…fully awake and empowered to drive my shift. (tears of appreciation on my laptop keys as I write…)

Thanks for your story, which triggered my memory bank…glad we have cyber links to stay in touch across the miles.

With great respect, Sherwood