[Oe List ...] Appreciation for the Completed Life of Bainbridge H. Davis

Richard Alton richard.alton at gmail.com
Tue May 26 10:29:58 PDT 2020

 Bain was born in Washington, DC. He graduated from Drew University and
continued at Drew in Seminary and then worked as a Community Developer,
taught and fund-raised for the Ecumenical Institute for 15 years.

Bain joined the order in the summer of 1966. He was assigned to the Academy
that fall.  When houses were begun, Bain was assigned as second prior with
Rick Loudermilk to Oklahoma and then a couple months later was moved to
Rockford as Prior. He worked heavily in the local church experiment with
churches in Wisconsin and Illinois.

He was next supposed to move to the Philippines, so we moved back to
Chicago to prepare. War broke out in the Philippines, so the assignment was
changed to work in development. There Bain stayed developing a program to
reach major donors. That continued for several years and then he was sent
to the New York House to continue to develop major donors on the east
coast, returning to Chicago on weekends. Bain left the order around 1980.

In the face of great loss, no words convey the sadness we feel for those
who loved Bain Davis. Yet we dare to say Death is neither a curse nor a
blessing, an end or a beginning, but only that it is a wondrous,
frightening and redemptive reality. It is a step into the Unknown Unknown.
It is sacred, and it is good.

Even though Death is universal, it is also unique---because every life is
unrepeatable. It arrives in its own time and is always shocking, even when
it is anticipated. It can be painful or peaceful, timely or not, tragic or
strangely welcome, or all of the above at once. We don’t choose the manner
or the moment and can only respond by acknowledging its finality and
trusting what was, is and will be. We go on.

Whether you celebrate death as a Home Going or as a finality that prevents
you from being with your loved one physically, acknowledging death is
important. We accompany you in your grief. We pray for you in your journey.
We hope for your experience of being accompanied by the Divine Spirit. May
it sustain you in your sorrow. Our hearts are with you.

We are grateful for what we learned and how our lives were enriched because
of the unique life of Bain Davis. We offer here our appreciation for the
contributions he made.

--
Richard H. T. Alton
One Earth Film Fest ( OEFF)
richard.alton at gmail.com
**Save the Date! One Earth Film Festival 2021, March *
http:www.oneearthfilmfestival.org

Make Plain the Vision, Habakkuh 2:2
Won't you be my neighbor?