[Oe List ...] another brief collegium

Ken Fisher kenfisher1942 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 19:24:56 PDT 2020

Dear John,

I was in Chicago from Ottawa for a Priors meeting in October of ’77 . Thanks to Karen Troxel, I visited Joe at his bedside for a few minutes and briefly conversed with him an hour or so before he died.

Two days later, I approached you with my own naive hopefulness and asked you if you would consider being our next Dean.

For me, you have the genius, the humility, the discipline (wasn’t there a Military School somewhere back there?), the care for others and the inspiration.

For me, in my little fox hole, at that time with a decade of EI / O:E engagement, I knew I could put my trust in you and Ann to serve ‘at the centre tranquil - amidst the raging seas’.

In that regard, for me, nothing in 43 years has changed.

You stared at me directly with some surprise, then looked down and said, “No.”

I continued to look and I could not find.

In warmth and light,

Ken