[Oe List ...] Fwd: to send to listserv

Richard Alton richard.alton at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 08:09:19 PDT 2020

*Hello All, *

We hope you are safe and well. In the midst that all that is happening
around us, it is important that we continue to ask ourselves what we want
to get accomplished in the last chapter of our lives. We invite you to join
us for our second cohort (Starting Friday June 19th). We are a learning
community that explores our goals for the last chapters of our lives, and
are getting our affairs in order as we prepare for what is next.

If you are interested, please sign up here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScXUVbbZzhhnqvm-AFS9HH8lQKGCoybtkFdm8fX4q93aQPSTg/viewform>--
see more below!

------------------------------

   1.

   Join The Last Chapter Virtual Learning Community

The What: We are piloting a workshop/seminar or series, that would allow
people (no matter what age) to think seriously and intentionally about
their final journey in life, their death, and make concrete decisions about
their funeral/memorial service, organ or body donation, distribution of
assets, obituary, burial/ cremation/ natural, etc.

The Why: Many of us who have seen our parents or children die, are
beginning to look at our own end of life decisions.  As an organization
that has seen itself as one who brings significance to everyday life
events, the ICA  and others are asking the question: “What could ICA create
that would help everyone, no matter what age, to look at their own death,
and make the necessary end of life decisions?

Our Ask: The curriculum and design of the virtual learning community around
‘the last Chapter’ of life is currently being worked on, and will be
piloted on the third Friday of the last month of the quarter (June 19th,
August 21st, October 23rd, December 18th) from 9am- 1pm Central Time. If
you would like to join this 2020 Virtual Learning Community. Please sign up
here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScXUVbbZzhhnqvm-AFS9HH8lQKGCoybtkFdm8fX4q93aQPSTg/viewform>
.

2.) Tell Us how you would like us to Celebrate your Contribution to ICA

The What: We would like to share your story, acknowledge and celebrate you,
your gifts, and your unique contribution to the ICA/EI/OE mission.  We
would like to know what you would like the Institute to do (if anything)
for your end of life celebration.

The Why: ICA staff are frequently experiencing first hand, or hearing about
the deaths of former members of EI/ICA/OE.  With many of these former
members, the current ICA staff do not have personal knowledge of who they
are or what they did while they were members. As more and more of the “old
ICAers” continue to die, it has become obvious to some of the current ICA
staff that there needs to be a self-conscious effort on the part of the
organization to acknowledge the contribution of these ICA stewards.  They
realize that the current organization and mission was built on the backs of
those who went before and who are leaving this world at an ever-increasing
rate.  They are asking themselves: “What would be an appropriate way for
ICA to honor current and former members when they transition?” 5th City has
always, either before someone dies or at the funeral, prepared and read
statements to acknowledge and honor a person’s contribution to making 5th
City what it was and is, both to the community and the world.   Looking at
this as a possible model, we would put this idea out either to the
Directory or to the EI/ICA/OE listservs, or both.  We have already
experienced several deaths of former and current members who did not leave
any instructions.  Some family members wanted the ICA involved.  We
acknowledge that there will be some members or their families who do not
want the ICA involved or any acknowledgement from them.  That will be
honored, but this response is to be sure to acknowledge and honor those who
wish to be. We have also experienced former members who wanted to have a
service in Chicago, wanting to have Daily Office, wanting to have their
ashes spread in 5th City, wanting particular people to sing a particular
song, etc.  While it is impossible for ICA to send people to every
funeral/memorial service that occurs, there could be volunteers who live
nearby who would be able to represent the ICA and read the Declaration on
behalf of the organization. Another idea is that every year the ICA would
hold a Memorial Service in honor of those who died that year.  The Archives
volunteers could retrieve information about unique contributions of
individuals. Pam is currently working on a draft of the “Declaration”
template about the significance of life, death and the ICA.

Our Ask:  Email Dick Alton richardalton at gmail.com, on how would you like
ICA to celebrate your contributions to the Institute.  We are still
figuring out how to collect this information from our colleagues, so
whatever thoughts or examples you can send will help us get clear on next
steps.

--
Richard H. T. Alton
One Earth Film Fest ( OEFF)
richard.alton at gmail.com
**Save the Date! One Earth Film Festival 2021, March *
http:www.oneearthfilmfestival.org

Make Plain the Vision, Habakkuh 2:2
Won't you be my neighbor?