[Oe List ...] My Witness

Jack Gilles jackcgilles at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 04:55:12 PST 2020

Seth,

It is heartening to hear your response. I do sense you grasp the message I was speaking of. I am replying just to you as it is premature to put this out to all the OE, although I would love to. Too many of our colleagues have “forgotten” the deeps of our short time together. Yes, it can be rekindled, but it will take new insights to do so.I will share with you a bit more, and hope I can stay out of “the weeds of words”.

One of the great gifts we have for the world is to really ground the reality that all of our social experiences must be seen as a Dynamic based on 3. We built the Social Process by shear mental force in Summer 71. We took it to seven levels, but I am sure some of the levels beyond 4 are a bit off. But that doesn’t matter. The master dynamic template of three, and four levels of triangles are enough to communicate the reality. Ad each triangle is connected to every other!! You soon reach infinite connectivity. But what if were all a Dance??? And we just need to learn how to Waltz??? 1-2-3. 1-2-3 1-2-3……...

Life is dynamic, not static substance. But the human tendency is to make it so. I don’t know if you remember the book we studied, The New Castle, by Malachi Martin. I first encountered it in 1975 as excerpts in Atlantic magazine. It sparked something in me, and when it came out I rushed a copy to JWM, and he got us all to read it. What people don’t know about was our encounter and conversation with him at the Cleveland House. He was speaking at the Newman Center right next door on Case-Western Reserve campus. After his talk we invited him to come and talk with us. When he came in the rest of the House lined up to shake his hand. His first words were: “There is something different about you people.” He refused to speak until we told him about ourselves, which we did. When finished he said: “You people are so far ahead that nothing can sustain you, you must do so yourselves”.

There is a lot more to the story, but I want to move back to my witness. Just to say that his book was about how history can be seen as a series of attempts to give substance (chapters on spiritual centers) that held the spirit in form, but it can’t be done; thus his last two chapters.

So life is only relationships. Draw a circle and a line from that to the center. They must be communicative. The lines are the “ties”. When the boundary is thought as stable, societal structures and our living our lives in and through those structures, the story of how to live is pretty clear. At the center are the values we hold and that story. The “field” of living is stable, but always slowly changing. Now introduce “radical change” and all of a sudden there seems to be Chaos in our Field of living”. It is just as the poet says, “The Center can not hold!… We need to discover not just new values, but Values, the Universal ones that govern all of life and the entire Universe (which is infinite, not expanding). Compassion, Truth, Mercy and Love (have to use words) must be infused into all the structures. We called that “The New Social Vehicle”. And you can see, that the only way you “know” the Center is through personal experience. And it is not a higher consciousness, it is just having more clarity. It is transparency. We have all been there, but have no way to hold on, we just say “wow!”. Those are called Other World visits. Common as mud.

Thus, when JWM stated “There will be no NSV, unless there is a NRM”. you can grasp what he is saying. By NRM, he wasn’t restricting it to our nine categories, but they are key.

Finally, re-read JWM’s two talks on Being given in Summer 70. He takes us to the Center. And note the inner circles, and the gaps.

Peace,

Jack