[Oe List ...] Living Tributes for Marianna Bailey

Lawrence Philbrook icalarry at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 08:22:16 PDT 2020

Dear Marianna and Trish

My prayers and thoughts to you both.

I don’t know what to say Marianna and Bill were with me in two transformational periods in my life.

I met them in 1970 so exactly 50 years ago.  I worked and lived with them in 1971-72 and 1975-76.

First in Washington DC for my senior year in high school when I became an RS1 teacher.  Marianna was always the serious presence never angry but always in charge.  Bill was my wise elder.  They seemed to be holding the space for change and possibility that they could see but I could only feel.

The second time in Oklahoma City when I decided I was ready to be assigned as an adult.  I was now 21 and as I pondered the future I was lucky to have the Baileys again to support and challenge me. It was 1975 and the EI was going through many changes as turn to the world really was happening - the local church experiment was alive and well in OKC but so was the Town Meeting Campaign,

Marianna is always for me grounded presence.  She has been in a study group for years with Dick West who is my colleague here in Taiwan so every few weeks Dick would tell me a story about Marianna

From that time to this she and they have been on my meditative council as two people I often talk to Bill a.

With love and respect,
Larry