[Oe List ...] Fw: [earthrise] Re-discovering the Fat Lady

W. J. synergi at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 8 15:54:25 PST 2019

 Thank you for this, Jim.I'm so appreciative of your grasp of JWM's 'presencing' as the one who calls us to authentic presence in the world and authentic 'all-in' expenditure.Not only did JWM rock my boat (and my life). So did the elusive Mr. Salinger. So much so that I wrote my undergraduate honors thesis on his fiction.You might also want to read Salinger's Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters/Seymour: an Introduction for more on Seymour.Yesterday I passed through unbelievably intense security with a specially selected group of guests and entered the unbelievably remote and elegantly finished Beaux-Arts world of the headquarters of the Ninth Circuit of Appeals in San Francisco for the rare opportunity of a VIP tour guided by the in-house authority on the building and the court. Utter WOW!And, as I exited this 'other world' of Federal Justice (protected by a photograph of a smiling 'you-know-who' in the WH) into the reality of Mission Street two hours later, there she was, waiting for us all: the heaviest, blackest, oldest, ugliest Fat Lady you can imagine, just sitting there on the raised concrete edge of the 'moat' (I mean this literally) that will protect the building from the rest of the world during the next earthquake. And struggling to breathe.Not only will the Fat Lady never get past Security to go inside to take a free piss in one of the world's most elegant Beaux-Arts Ladies' Rooms. Or, more significantly, be allowed to take her seat with the very few members of the public who attend the arguments of the Court in one of the world's most elegant courtrooms. Because that's who Security intends to screen out! More importantly for all of us, it is doubtful whether there will ever be Justice for the Fat Lady--the one who first sat in the front of the bus and who struggled to walk over the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma.As I write this, I'm thinking of the Fat Lady in Oombulgurri and the Fat Lady in Fifth City who never got to see the land we promised them, but who did get to participate in the movement of the Arc of history toward a Justice that is beyond our lifetimes and beyond our imaginations.Grace and Peace,Marshall JonesBTW, the latest courtroom added to the building was finished in 1935 and has swastikas carved into the ceiling! Big clue about some hidden values ...

   ----- Forwarded Message ----- From: Sharon Texley texley at sbcglobal.net [earthrise] <earthrise-noreply at yahoogroups.com>To: Jim Troxel <jtroxel49 at gmail.com>Cc: "earthrise at yahoogroups.com" <earthrise at yahoogroups.com>Sent: Thursday, March 7, 2019, 6:48:00 AM PSTSubject: Re: [earthrise] Re-discovering the Fat Lady

Thanks for that, Jim. It brought back all those experiences.

Sharon

Sent from my iPhone