[Oe List ...] Communication skills-Westside Chicago-Catherine Pierce

Lynda C Lynda860 at outlook.com
Fri Jan 11 09:12:07 PST 2019

Greetings, Sarah.  Glad to hear from you.    You were on my mind this morning as John and I were reading in preparation for a discussion at our church on social justice.   We are using the Atlantic Monthly's article by Ta-Nehisi Coats "The Case for Reparations" (June 2014 issue).  Chicago is largely featured in the article about 60's & 70's during radical housing upheaval on the West Side of Chicago which you as an early resident would certainly verify.   Another interesting find in the article is a mural from Fifth City, demonstrating neighborhood art.

In looking back at Beret's amazing Chronological History (available on sale in Chicago)  I see that the move to Congress Parkway was in 1963.  On that same page I  also was reminded that the Pierce family was part of that initial move of EI  into the  Westside area. You may have noticed on the OE list that Catherine Pierce died recently.  She is listed with her family as part of the original 7 families to move to Evanston in 1962 the previous year, some of our earliest Emerging Generation.  Her daughter's FB page details the many social justice efforts she led and was part of. What a life of service.  Her legacy of structural leadership and care lives on.  Her memorial in Jacksonville, FL is Feb. 9, at the UUC.  Our condolences to her family.

With care,  Lynda Cock