[Oe List ...] Bob Vance

John Epps jlepps39 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 15:26:56 PDT 2018

Cynthia:

We were grieved to hear of Bob’s death but join you in celebrating his
life. We especially appreciate his sense of wonder and mystery in life. His
active engagement in fossil hunting, bird watching, and insect analysis
complemented his fascination with the philosophy of time. And of course,
his love for you and for Star Princess.

We also appreciate the two of you leading the formation of the IAF (which
now has become a global organization with multiple conferences and
certification processes). From the 70 of us who signed that original
flipchart, the Association has become a significant organization attending
to the standards of the profession around the world.

We remember fondly the time you and Bob took us fossil hunting in the river
that required wet suits. It was our first time in wet suits, and I still
chuckle over Bob’s description of the two types of people who use them…. We
also recall the time in California when we went with you on a birding trip.
Bob noted that a particularly rare bird had been sighted just down the
coast, so off we went. To our astonishment, it was not a TYPE of bird that
was spotted, but a particular bird of that species. That’s when we
recognized the intensity of birding, and the wonder it discloses.

It’s been a joy to know Bob and will miss him. And we intend to keep
tracking you in your music.

Grace & Peace.

 Ann and John