[Oe List ...] Remembering Clarence Snelling

Paula Philbrook paula.philbrook at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 16:09:04 PDT 2018

Clarence was a young Methodist in New Orleans in the mid-1940's in High
School. He was a contemporary of my Dad's so most of my stories are second
hand.   George and Wanda Holcombe can probably share more first hand.

He was a pillar of the Civil Rights efforts within the Methodist Church
serving as the Campus minister at Tulane in New Orleans. He was innovative
in his approach by organizing Bible studies for both Tulane and the nearby
African American College.  He was active in the National Methodist Student
Movement (NMSM) conferences.  Martin Luther King, Jr., Richard Laubach and
Joseph Wesley Mathews were keynote speakers among centennial leaders of the
century invited to speak.  Many of us remember the MOTIVE magazine which
was the publication spawned by the MSM.

Although he never directly worked with the teaching programs of the
Ecumenical Institute or ICA he was a life time supporter of the Spirit
Movement.   Many of us recall his participation in the Millennium
Connection (2000) in Denver.

Paula

On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 4:48 PM, Lynda C via OE <oe at lists.wedgeblade.net>
wrote:

> I do not have the details, but I recall that Clarence Snelling was on the
> faculty of Iliff Seminary in Denver and was very supportive of our work
> there.  In skimming through an Archive listing, I found this brochure of a
> Training event held at Iliff.  It is only the cover of a brochure, but it
> brought to mind the vastness of the Crimson Line and the gratitude for
> Clarence and Shirley Heckman Snelling, who each were part of spreading our
> work with local churches at various times.
>
> I hope others can add to that history.
>

> https://wedgeblade.net/files/archives_assets/19903.pdf
>

> With gratitude, Lynda Cock

Paula

“Is it logical that two people can disagree and that both can be right?
It's not logical: it's psychological. And it's very real.”  ― Stephen R.
Covey <https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1538.Stephen_R_Covey>