[Oe List ...] MLK weekend in Chicago

Lynda C Lynda860 at outlook.com
Sat Apr 7 17:43:31 PDT 2018

Linda,  When we moved to John’s hometown of Galax, Va in 1984, we attended the tiny Episcopal Church there with John’s sister and her husband for some time.  The retired priest for this rural parish was Fr. Stanrod Carmichael.  When the story got out that we were from the Ecumenical Institute, he shared with us the story of helping evacuate some of the women and small children from the West Side.  At the time of MLK’s death and the riots, he was serving as an Episcopal Boys School on the South Side and had been called to bring a bus to help get folks out of that situation, which he dutifully did.  Probably one of the many avenues of escape.  He had attended a PLC some time before and reportedly would have been part of our community, but his wife refused to come along.

What a frightening experience you must have gone through during that time.   We came a year later on the anniversary of the riots with our son (also now 51!).  That was frightening enough.  We were advised to sleep on the floor away from windows that night as some anniversary violence was anticipated.  I doubt that we even considered those possibilities when we bought our tickets to come to Chicago then.

Lynda and John Cock