[Oe List ...] Have you been watching the Vietnam series on PBS?

Terry Bergdall via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Wed Sep 27 10:47:51 PDT 2017

Diann,

The series has affected me greatly. It appears that I am a year older than
you since I was a senior in high school during the spring of 1968. By that
time, I was thick into oppositions activities — such as I could do in a
small Oklahoma town. I trace their beginnings back to a trip to the United
Nations and Washington DC sponsored the Oklahoma Conference of the
Methodist Church in October 1965. We heard one story about fighting
"international communism" in DC and one in NYC about the folly and tragedy
of being on the wrong side of a misguided effort to fight a colonial war.
The latter message was from a Methodist Bishop. That trip began my journey
of questioning, and then opposing, the Vietnam War. Throughout 1967, I
passed out petitions, “Negotiate Now,” and solicited signatures until the
HS Principal forced us to stop on school grounds. Then in mid-January 1968
— 10 days before the Tet Offensive — the confrontation came to a boil when
a friend and I wrote a letter to the editor of local newspaper (see
attached) which then released all hell in my hometown:  neighbors
aggressively called our parents and publiclly condemed us “commies." The
Vietnam series has forced me to re-examine what I thought an authenitic
ethical response was then, how I acted in real time of the sixties, and how
my current life reflects a continuity (or not) of that ethical
understanding. For those reasons, I consider the Vietnam series to be a
VERY powerful experience.

The Ecumenical Instite and Order, of course, were ultimately central in my
response to the “tumultuous times” that was described in “The Declaration
of Spirit Movement.” I was very active in the region with EI affairs in1967
when it first published.

BTW, “Stoner” is also one of my favorite novels. So much said about life’s
journey in so few pages.

Terry B.

On Sep 27, 2017, at 11:21, McCabe, Diann A via OE <oe at lists.wedgeblade.net>