[Oe List ...] conversation on white trash racism

George Holcombe via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Wed Sep 27 07:13:25 PDT 2017

My own experience has been that people who live in different worlds have more that a little difficulty talking with each other. I have more than a few relatives and others who live in a racist world with far different views on the economy, the poor, etc. They sometimes use the same words and mean the opposite.  I do not find they are up for conversation, idea sharing or interest in learning other views. I have never found any of the religious or spiritual approaches do more that aggravate the relationship. They know who you are, just as you do them. Polite passing of words is about all you can do.  On a rare occasion I have had one or two seek me out after a severe trauma in their life.  Even then, sorting out the fears and looking for new horizons can be a difficulty because they sense disloyalty to their ideology and their friends. I remember an HIV patient's father I was attending back in the 80’s, his father cursed him out on his death bed for being gay, while his mother wept. It was more than a tragic scene. But there is always hope. Almost 5 yrs. later attending a meeting of parents with HIV children the couple showed up very positive and supportive. Never learned what caused the turn around.

George Holcombe
geowanda1 at me.com

"Whatever the problem, community is the answer.  There is no power greater than a community discovering what it cares about."  Margaret Wheatley