[Oe List ...] Teaching methods request

Jeanette Stanfield via OE oe at lists.wedgeblade.net
Sun Sep 10 16:52:09 PDT 2017

Dear Stu,
Sylvia Ashton Warner's book Teacher might be helpful.  She uses a very
simple method of getting a word from a child-a word that is about their
lives.  Then she writes this word on a card .  Each day she asks for one
word and reviews past cards.  Pictures can go with these words.  The child
gets to play with these cards by themselves and with the teacher.  Stories
may come from these.  Words are usually vivid perhaps emotional, perhaps
nouns that a child interacts with every day.  The intent is to link reading
and language to actual experiences happening in a child's life.

I have used this with children with learning disabilities. With your
children beginning with a picture or photo of the word may set up the
climate for reading the word.  Parents may be able to work with you on
this.

Good luck,

Jeanette